Thursday 2 May 2013

Speculating Psychology

"Any tips on companies that I can buy?" is the question often asked to me. 
I would often reply and give a few names, being lazy to further explain that it is not the right mindset to have. Infact, we might probably all agree that it is better to teach a man to fish, than to give him fishes. 

Well... 
Speculating is a life-long journey, and one must always be hungry to learn, to understand new disruptions in life. For example, who would have thought that is was possible to print your own art (physically), or your own magazine (for a rifle) using a 3D printer? It is the invigorating sense of you are not perfect, thus you must be better mantra that fuels every speculator's desire.

When I first started speculating in the stock market, I often ran out of ideas of what companies to buy. Nowadays, I have so many ideas that I almost never run out. So, how does one arrive on that ability?

There are many sources which I obtain my ideas from, business news being the last, these days. I highly recommend the broad understand of trends, before doing anything. This means, one should pursue the understanding of how the world works, and how it might work in a week, or few months from now. That includes the understanding of a little economics, business climate, and overall public sentiments. 

Then you can slowly narrow down the types of businesses you might be in if you were an entrepreneur. Of course, having an understanding and ability to read technical charts, and candlesticks helps a lot in day to day trading ideas as well. I particularly love to browse around the "most active counters", and "top losers". When significant moves happen, it tends to signal to the market that something is "coming". Perhaps a buying opportunity, or a sell signal. One can then look for related news. That, in my opinion is how news should work to one's advantage. As for analysts reports, they only work to serve their masters, and most often favorable reports are only issued after a significant "unexpected" price movement or positive news developments.

A smart speculator must find out these things before it happens. Of course, if you have information from your "sources" then all these are probably irrelevant.

Just a thought. 


No comments:

Post a Comment